Thursday, October 5, 2017

Arizona

According to netstate.com, in 1982, the Arizona state legislature passed house bill 2300 to name Arizona, a waltz by Rex Allen, Jr., as the alternate state anthem. One wonders if they considered Arizona Waltz made famous by Rex Allen, Jr.'s father, Rex Allen as an alternative alternate state anthem. These two tunes are featured below.

Arizona Waltz - Rex Allen



Arizona - Rex Allen, Jr.


Legend has it that the elder Rex Allen (1920-1999) wrote the words and music of Arizona Waltz when he was fourteen years old -  a significant accomplishment since for a country waltz, it has some musical sophistication and can be a challenge to sing.  It made its big public debut when it was sung by Rex in the 1950 movie, Arizona Cowboy.  Interestingly, the IMDb soundtrack summary for Arizona Cowboy indicates that Arizona Waltz was written by Robert Allen (1928-2000) not Rex Allen (it does credit Rex for writing the song I was born in Arizona which appeared in the same movie). The original sheet music indicates that Rex Allen wrote the words and music. If someone reading this blog has definitive knowledge which R. Allen wrote the song, I hope they will comment. The song has been recorded by many singers and is a country waltz standard but I don't think anyone has surpassed the original featured above.

There is no question that Rex Allen, Jr wrote Arizona, sometimes known as I Love You Arizona.  He tells the story in this video.  He asked his dad if he had any unrecorded Arizona song he could use in a new album and his dad told him to "go write your own damn song."  So he did, in thirty minutes. Probably the most productive thirty minutes of his life. Many have covered this song since it was made the official alternate state song - two of my favorites are by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and by the Chandler's Children's Choir. Again, it is difficult to find a version better than that sung by the composer.

The Allen's remain significant emblems of Arizona as evidenced by the 66th annual celebration of Rex Allen Days which is being held this very weekend in Wilcox, Arizona.  I would be willing to bet that both of these songs were heard this weekend.

Lyrics and music:

Arizona Waltz


Hold me closer in your arms
And dance the Arizona Waltz
While the songbirds sing a sweet melody
Hold me closer in your arm
And dance the Arizona Waltz
I'm in heaven when you dance with me

And when the lights are low
I'll steal a kiss
Just like I always do
Hold me closer in your arms
And dance the Arizona Waltz
I'm in heaven when I waltz with you



 Arizona



I love you, Arizona;

Your mountains, deserts and streams;

The rise of Dos Cabezas

And the outlaws I see in my dreams;



I love you Arizona,

Superstitions and all;

The warmth you give at sunrise;

Your sunsets put music in us all.



Oo, Arizona; You're the magic in me;

Oo, Arizona, You're the life-blood of me;



I love you Arizona;

Desert dust on the wind;

The sage and cactus are blooming,

And the smell of the rain on your skin.



Oo, Arizona; You're the magic in me;

Oo, Arizona, You're the life-blood of me;


 A related personal recollection for those who have persisted to the end of this blog.

I grew up in a small Texas town and was nine years old when Arizona Cowboy made it to the movie theaters.  I was a big fan of all cowboy movies, including those of Rex Allen.  I don't recall seeing Arizona Cowboy but I would be surprised if I missed it.  We had three movie theaters in town - the Strand, the Bengal and the Royal.  The Strand showed the "big" movies like Cinderella and Father of the Bride; the Bengal showed the old comedies, eg. Abbot and Costello, and the horror movies; the Royal showed the Westerns. Almost every Saturday, my best friend and neighbor, Jimmy Ramsey, and I would ride our bikes to town and pay nine cents to get into the Royal to see whatever Western was on offer. Eventually, we were lured away by the Saturday morning "Kiddie Show" double feature at the Strand for twenty-five cents but I missed the Royal even then. I still get nostalgic for those Westerns - a feeling wonderfully captured in the Eric Bogle tune, Front Row Cowboy.

Return to the Index.

No comments:

Post a Comment